Overview of Content and Features
- 2 million words of Bible text and insightful teaching in 2,752 pages.
- 20,000 notes—focus especially on understanding the meaning of the text, giving answers to frequently raised questions, and providing theological, historical, and archaeological background
- Book Introductions—include essential information about the author, date, and place of writing; an extensive chart of key themes; a summary of how the book fits in with the rest of the biblical storyline; a description of literary features; an outline of the book; and a large full-color map showing the setting of the book.
- Over 50 articles—on topics such as the authority and truthfulness of the Bible, reading the Bible for application, the Bible in worship and prayer, the reliability of the biblical manuscripts, the relationship between archaeology and the Bible, an overview of biblical theology, and many more.
- 200-plus charts—offering key insights and in-depth analysis in clear, concise outline form; located throughout the Bible.
- Over 200 full-color maps—use the latest satellite imagery, digital technology, and cartography techniques. The maps are based on extensive research and the most recent biblical archaeology scholarship.
- 80,000 cross-references—to encourage easy location of important words, passages, and biblical themes.
- 40 all-new illustrations—created specifically for the ESV Study Bible and printed at key locations throughout the Bible. These include full-color renderings and architectural diagrams of important biblical structures, cities, and objects, shown in precise, accurate detail. The unique dimensional drawings were researched by leading archaeologists and have been beautifully rendered by architectural illustrators. The result is a series of exceptional illustrations—including the Tabernacle, the Ark of the Covenant, Solomon’s temple and Herod’s temple, and the city of Jerusalem throughout the history of Israel and during the time of Jesus.
Free ESV Study Bible Online
The ESV Study Bible is available in print form and online—and the online edition is available free to all who purchase a copy of the print edition. The ESV Online Study Bible provides additional unique features, including the ability to create personal online notes; to search and follow interactive links between notes, maps, articles, charts, timelines, illustrations, and cross-references; to listen to audio recordings of the ESV; and to access additional resources not available in the print edition—all available for free with the print edition.
Access to the ESV Study Bible Online Study may also be purchased separately from the print edition.